Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 09, 2018, 10:22:04 PM

Author Topic: M1 garands back up for sale at CMP  (Read 287 times)

Offline extractr

M1 garands back up for sale at CMP
« on: August 24, 2016, 02:35:57 PM »
Service grades are back up at the CMP.   Probably won't last long.

The following users thanked this post: Duodec

Offline NorCalRT

• Founding Member
Re: M1 garands back up for sale at CMP
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »
damn it, I really need to get signed up.

Offline goodnerd

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »
Facebook post on 8/20/16 for the CMP up the road (1 hour)  Last time I was there was one, recently taken out of storage from 1946 with all the original packing still attached. 

Offline Duodec

• Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:17:47 AM »
I have my once-in-a-lifetime DCM M1, a parts build, and a private party buy that needed its sewer pipe replaced (has a Douglas midweight barrel now).  I do not need another one.  Just don't.  No.

But I want more.  These are some of the sweetest shooting rifles ever.

Offline extractr

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 10:21:22 AM »
I have my once-in-a-lifetime DCM M1, a parts build, and a private party buy that needed its sewer pipe replaced (has a Douglas midweight barrel now).  I do not need another one.  Just don't.  No.

But I want more.  These are some of the sweetest shooting rifles ever.

Just consider it an investment (diversify your portfolio).  They aren't making any more.  The price has consistently gone up on them.  Once they are gone from the CMP,  the price will continue to rise. 

Although the real numbers will never be known,  out of the 6 million made,  I am betting at least a 1/3 of those were destroyed in war or by our government after.  Around a third are probably still with other countries that our government has given them to, and we will likely never see again.  And the remaining third+- is what we have available in this country.  Two million guns for a nation of 150 million gun owners is not that many, considering most shooters I have ever met,  have  a Garand as one of their "bucketlist" guns.

Offline Duodec

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 11:22:10 AM »

Just consider it an investment (diversify your portfolio).  They aren't making any more.  The price has consistently gone up on them.  Once they are gone from the CMP,  the price will continue to rise. 

Although the real numbers will never be known,  out of the 6 million made,  I am betting at least a 1/3 of those were destroyed in war or by our government after.  Around a third are probably still with other countries that our government has given them to, and we will likely never see again.  And the remaining third+- is what we have available in this country.  Two million guns for a nation of 150 million gun owners is not that many, considering most shooters I have ever met,  have  a Garand as one of their "bucketlist" guns.

Yah, already an investment... its been so long since I had it out of the safe I forgot to mention the complete CMP M1-D I picked up years ago on a CMP raffle (the raffle was to win the right to buy one of a limited number they had, not a chance to straight 'win' the rifle).  And the DCM rifle is an all original low mileage IHC.  Believe me, I know about the value I've received. 

And they shoot so very very nicely.  I don't have broad experience with centerfire rifles, just ten or so, bolt and semi, and the M1 Garand is my favorite, even beating the M1 carbine just for how very nice it is to shoot while still speaking with considerable authority.

Plus the older ones (not the IHC, it was in too nice shape) probably helped kill commies and nazis.