Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2018, 07:05:50 AM

Author Topic: Favorite way to finish an 80% lower?  (Read 523 times)

Offline ReaperWaterfowl

Favorite way to finish an 80% lower?
« on: September 21, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »
I'm going to start off by saying, I'm looking for a cheap effective way to make this pig look decent.

Anodizing is out of the question, I'm not looking to spend more on the coating than I did the lower.

Any rattle can solutions? Any good cheap spray and bake?

Thanks!

Offline stangfan94

• Founding Member
  • Pants-on-head-retarded
Re: Favorite way to finish an 80% lower?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:06:49 AM »
This interests me as well. I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to work on a finished lower

Offline ejeviking

• Founding Member
  • Advertise HERE!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »
I've done alumahyde before and it works pretty good. Just clean the crap out and off of it and you should be able to finish it nicely.
NRA Life Member
Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine. Semper Fi.

Offline branflake

• Founding Member
  • part of a well balanced breakfast.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 01:03:15 PM »
I just did an upper/rail/stock/scope with the aerosol duracoat. It went on well, its pretty slick feeling. Downside is its a bit shiny (might rattle can some matte clear-whats best here?) and the color match from their swatches to my Larue lower were way the shit off. I can post some pics if you like. Got the kit (degreaser, scour pad, paint) for $50 shipped i think. Not $5 krylon, but not cerakote prices either.

Offline ReaperWaterfowl

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 01:31:06 PM »
I just did an upper/rail/stock/scope with the aerosol duracoat. It went on well, its pretty slick feeling. Downside is its a bit shiny (might rattle can some matte clear-whats best here?) and the color match from their swatches to my Larue lower were way the shit off. I can post some pics if you like. Got the kit (degreaser, scour pad, paint) for $50 shipped i think. Not $5 krylon, but not cerakote prices either.

If you wouldn't mind posting a few whenever you get a chance. Was the upper or rail stripped aluminum? The couple of lowers I'm looking to finish are in the "raw".

Read something about engine "high heat" rattle cans. Anyone ever try that?

Offline biere

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 05:11:16 PM »
Tagged as well.

Common things mentioned with header paint or bbq paint are to leave item in sun to warm up or low heat in oven or something so it is hot when you paint it.

I figure with more aluminum coming on vehicles I will look that direction at worst.

Offline troy_v

• Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 08:13:53 PM »
I've finished numerous weapons with Alumahyde II and Duracoat Aerosol. The Alumahyde works, but the Duracoat is better (however, Alumahyde is about $15 and the Duracoat is $40).
USAF Veteran,  NRA Life Member

Offline lupint2t

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 09:39:57 PM »
Give this a read, it seems to be durable coating that can be done at low temps in an oven.

https://molyresin.com/

Offline troy_v

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 11:22:53 PM »
Give this a read, it seems to be durable coating that can be done at low temps in an oven.

I looked at the website, but I can't figure out what benefit this may have over AlumaHyde II or Duracoat Aerosol. I've used both of those and have been happy with them, but I have no idea why this Moly Resin may claim to be better.

Offline lupint2t

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 11:50:16 PM »

I looked at the website, but I can't figure out what benefit this may have over AlumaHyde II or Duracoat Aerosol. I've used both of those and have been happy with them, but I have no idea why this Moly Resin may claim to be better.

I have no experience with it either. I just came across it when I was looking for a gunsmith to thread and engrave some stuff. I have no experience with any coatings though but it seemed like it was an easy application process that bonded to metal well.

Offline ReaperWaterfowl

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 07:41:59 AM »

Seems interesting. I have a few that I will be finishing in the next couple of weeks, so I may try to use this on one of them.

Edit: If anyone has pictures of a method they used, please feel free to share! I'll post some of mine with different methods as I complete them
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:12:46 AM by ReaperWaterfowl »

Offline troy_v

• Founding Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 09:29:20 AM »

Seems interesting. I have a few that I will be finishing in the next couple of weeks, so I may try to use this on one of them.

Edit: If anyone has pictures of a method they used, please feel free to share! I'll post some of mine with different methods as I complete them

Are you asking about a method for machining 80% lowers, or the method of applying AlymaHyde/Duracoat aerosol?

I had a long "how to" thread in the refinishing forum of ARF where I detailed the Duracoat Aerosol. It's been archived now.

Offline ReaperWaterfowl

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 10:33:03 AM »

Are you asking about a method for machining 80% lowers, or the method of applying AlymaHyde/Duracoat aerosol?

I had a long "how to" thread in the refinishing forum of ARF where I detailed the Duracoat Aerosol. It's been archived now.

Sorry if I confused, looking at different ways for spraying, duracoat, alumahyde, ect.

Looking for experiences, if you liked one over the other. why? how was the finish? ect. I'm looking for something economical that wont wear on the first range trip.

Offline JDMnAR

• Founding Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 12:16:02 PM »

If the website is to be believed:

Moly Resin™ has a unique property beyond its hardness, corrosion and heat resistance that makes it extremely easy to use and store. All advanced specialized coatings of any brand or type require a chemical additive hardener for the coating to cure and harden. Many types of coatings require this hardener to be added to the coating at the time of use, therefore, requiring the coating to be used quickly before the coating starts to set and harden. Left-over coating is wasted. Moly Resin™ has the hardener already mixed into the coating but is protected from hardening by a temperature activated catalyst. The catalyst activates the curing and hardening process only when it is heated to its oven curing temperature.   This eliminates waste and allows for easy airbrush cleanup.

I will say that I have a .22lr build that John coated for me in his Moly Resin a couple of years ago, and it has held up very well so far but I don't have anything else that has been coated with any competitive products to compare it to.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:16:46 PM by JDMnAR »

Offline biere

• Founding Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 09:33:05 PM »
I have mostly decided to start looking for basic camo colors in high temp spray cans and just came my 80% stuff when I get around to actually doing it.

I have yet to even decide on a jig yet but am kind of liking the idea of a router so might head that way.

Like reloading, I want everything in hand for election day but am not that concerned about being up and running by then.

I like reading the other stuff, but for what I want I don't think I care.

Offline troy_v

• Founding Member
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »
I used OD Green AlumaHyde II to paint an upper I built for one of my 80% lowers. AH2 really is decent stuff, though I do like Duracoat Aerosol better. Neither are quite as durable as Cerakote, but for the price they're both really good.

Offline ReaperWaterfowl

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »
I used OD Green AlumaHyde II to paint an upper I built for one of my 80% lowers. AH2 really is decent stuff, though I do like Duracoat Aerosol better. Neither are quite as durable as Cerakote, but for the price they're both really good.

Ever try it on the raw aluminum?

Offline branflake

• Founding Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 03:12:34 PM »
I have a 3 pack of 80's in the raw from last year. I'll likley see how well duracoat works on them when i finish them.

I've never done one...what do you all use for tools and jigs? I have a 1/2" drill press and an ond, single speed router (with no table). Are the super high end jigs worth it?

Offline troy_v

• Founding Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 07:09:07 PM »

Ever try it on the raw aluminum?

Yes - it's all about how well you prep. Use some sandpaper to lightly rough up the surface to give the Duracoat something to hold onto. After the light sand, degrease the hell out of it - I use 1.5 entire bottles of brake cleaner on an upper and a lower. I use a reciprocating saw spraypaint shaker, and shake the can for double the amount of time Duracoat calls for - both before and after injecting the hardener.

After I paint, then I put it in the oven for 2-3 hours at 180 degrees - I suspend everything using safety wire from the top rack of my oven. After that initial 2-3 hours, then I either leave it all in the (turned-off) oven over night, or I remove everything and suspend it in my gun workshop for another 1-2 days. After that, it's good to go.

The above is for the Duracoat Aerosol (can in a can) product.

If using AlumaHyde II aerosol, it's similar to the above, except it requires about 2-3 weeks of curing at room temperature after oven baking, for best results.

Offline troy_v

• Founding Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 07:10:11 PM »
I have a 3 pack of 80's in the raw from last year. I'll likley see how well duracoat works on them when i finish them.

I've never done one...what do you all use for tools and jigs? I have a 1/2" drill press and an ond, single speed router (with no table). Are the super high end jigs worth it?

The Modulus HD jig is absolutely worth it.  I use a drill press, and a Rigid trim router to turn the end mill. 

Offline troy_v

• Founding Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 10:25:33 PM »
For those curious, here's a few photos I've taken of my Duracoat Aerosol/AlumaHyde II painting process:

I use two sawhorses with some pieces of wood that spans them to suspend my parts to prep and paint. I have screw-eyes installed in the wood, then use safety wire to run through the pieces to be painted and connect to the screw eyes. After suspending like this I douse with several cans of brake cleaner. Then I use painters tape to cover and parts that I don't want to be painted:

I use a Paasche dual-exhaust fan airbrush paint booth for my painting. The exhaust is ducted out the bottom of my garage door:

I added wood side 'wings' to the paint booth, as well as the bottom. This way I have something for the piece of wood that suspends the parts to be painted, into the paint booth:

Painted items hanging in my oven to over cure at 180 degrees for 2-3 hours:

Here are the painted parts suspended in my workshop for air curing (after the oven bake):

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:14:21 PM by troy_v »

Offline ReaperWaterfowl

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 10:42:58 PM »
Phenomenal, thank you for the insight!

Right now, I have a 1/2" drill press and I've only made as far as cutting out the trigger pocket. I do have a router sitting around, I'm guessing that's easier for the end mill?

Offline troy_v

• Founding Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 11:12:44 PM »
Some routers are better than others - you need variable speed control, and good depth control. Trim routers - with a narrow base - are easier to use than full size routers because you can see the jig underneath better. But, people definitely complete 80% lowers just fine with full size routers.

Offline branflake

• Founding Member
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 08:44:33 PM »
Forgot about this. Here's my 18"er with pewter duracoat on the mag, rail, upper, stock. Lower is factory Reardon oxide, grip is ude. Way more silver than i hoped, but i call it 'silver SCAR FDE". Not fired yet.