Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2018, 07:05:04 AM

Author Topic: The Offical Reloading/Casting Thread  (Read 155 times)

Offline Brotherbadger

• Founding Member
The Offical Reloading/Casting Thread
« on: October 15, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »
We didn't have a thread, so i figured i would start one. If anybody has any questions or anything. Feel free to post them.

I actually just tried powder coating my cast bullets for the first time the other night. After a small problem with the oven being WAAAYYYY too hot(make sure to get an oven thermometer to double check, mine was off by almost 50*), i think i have them ready to load. Ran them through the sizer and they turned out just fine. There are a few smudges in the coating due to touching bullets and it's not 100% even coating, but it will prevent leading. I need to go through and cull the bad ones, but for the most part I didn't see much in the way of uncovered lead.

125gr 9mm pills.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:42:43 AM by Brotherbadger »

Offline bluehaya

• Founding Member
Re: The Offical Reloading/Casting Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »
I guess my next level in loading will be to cast some bullets.  I like the coating of them, but often wonder how the powder coating covered them like it does.

I have some .356 lead bullets, do you know if I could resize to .355?   My lone wolf Glock does not like .356, but they work ok in my Ruger, but I shoot my glock more.
Ever been so mad you hit a motherfuka with another motherfuka?

Offline Brotherbadger

• Founding Member
Re: The Offical Reloading/Casting Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 10:14:11 AM »
I guess my next level in loading will be to cast some bullets.  I like the coating of them, but often wonder how the powder coating covered them like it does.

Powder coating can be done a few ways. You can either do the "shake and bake"(which creates static electricity to get the coating to stick to the bullets by using plastic BBs in a plastic container), or you can use a powder coating gun and spray it on. I used the shake and bake method and cooked them in a convection oven for 15 minutes. Using a powder gun creates a more even coat, but the shake and bake method is cheaper.

I have some .356 lead bullets, do you know if I could resize to .355?   My lone wolf Glock does not like .356, but they work ok in my Ruger, but I shoot my glock more.

Sure. While i don't think Lee makes a 355 sizing die, i know Lyman and RCBS do. You could also custom order a .355 kit from lee for $38(which will be much cheaper than going with RCBS/Lyman, as you need an entire lubamatic to use those dies).

With the Lee setup, you just need to make sure they are lubed(or coated, if using powder coated bullets), and you just run the bullets through the die using your reloading press.