Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2018, 06:32:55 AM

Author Topic: Mag Tactical Lower...paperweight?  (Read 628 times)

Offline strikefirst

• Founding Member
Mag Tactical Lower...paperweight?
« on: November 25, 2016, 07:48:56 PM »
My brother in law made a deal on a used AR from a guy he works with. He ran everything by me and I gave him a good better best price. He got it $200 under the best price I gave him and the guy throws in a lower. So my brother in law just gave me the lower.

It is a mag tactical in fde. Were these things ever safe and usable?

Offline Rocky59

• Founding Member
  • Not a verb
Re: Mag Tactical Lower...paperweight?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 07:54:02 PM »
For $40 why risk it? Turn into art

Offline strikefirst

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »
That is what I was thinking. Wall hanger in the shop.

Offline SmartDrug

• Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 09:28:45 PM »
It's a lower, you're not talking about a questionable barrel. Build that bitch as a backup gun for a neighbor in SHTF.

The following users thanked this post: strikefirst, osucowboy8

Offline Rocky59

• Founding Member
  • Not a verb
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 09:47:46 PM »
It's a lower, you're not talking about a questionable barrel. Build that bitch as a backup gun for a neighbor in SHTF.

That's the thing, you can't. Out of spec so you have redrill and re tap a bunch of areas not worth it

Offline jarredtipton

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 09:48:52 PM »

That's the thing, you can't. Out of spec so you have redrill and re tap a bunch of areas not worth it

I dont think they were all out of spec were they?

Offline UncleEric

• Founding Member
  • Cheetos McNeckbearder
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 10:08:14 PM »
I bot a five pack for for cheap for a couple light weight builds and spares for when those break.   :o
Mine are not out of spec and I've not had any cracking or breaking.  (yet!)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 01:00:56 AM by UncleEric »
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Offline SmartDrug

• Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 10:36:39 PM »

Yeah, that changes things. Wall art it is!

Offline Undefined

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 01:15:13 PM »

Bullshit.

I have.... more than one.... Mag Tactical lower. Aside from needing longer trigger and hammer pins (and needing a wee bit of material removed from those holes as the cerakote was thick and caused the holes to be too small), I love them. My favorite AR is built on one.

Offline Rocky59

• Founding Member
  • Not a verb
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »

Bullshit.

I have.... more than one.... Mag Tactical lower. Aside from needing longer trigger and hammer pins (and needing a wee bit of material removed from those holes as the cerakote was thick and caused the holes to be too small), I love them. My favorite AR is built on one.

so i am correct, without the proprietary trigger pins you cannot build the lower with a standard LPK, and as far as cleaning out cerakote from holes you could see why some people needed to re-tap holes and drill out holes to remove enough material to get pins to fit.

Offline Undefined

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »

Bullshit.

so i am correct, without the proprietary trigger pins you cannot build the lower with a standard LPK, and as far as cleaning out cerakote from holes you could see why some people needed to re-tap holes and drill out holes to remove enough material to get pins to fit.

It's not like they tricked people - the extended pins were used for a specific reason (thickening of that area to increase strength and reduce potential for expanding pin holes).

The lowers are unique. They offer a weight savings in exchange for some peculiarities.

Offline doc_Zox

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 06:51:07 PM »
my mag tac lower has a miss drilled buffer retainer hole

i had to get an offset buffer retainer pin to keep the buffer from hitting on the pin

Offline isptroop38

• Founding Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »
I had a dozen of them I bought cheap.  I built one with no issues, but had two that seemed to have extremely thin finish and scratched very, very easily.  One of those had the front take down detent hole undersized.  I got the detent wedged in there with no way to get it out.  I ended up jamming it in there and using another detent and cut down spring.  I sold the rest and don't plan on buying them again.  They are great for a $40 beater lower when they're on sale.  Brownell's used to carry them for $189.99 and that would be a rip off.

Offline jkm0405

• Founding Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 04:42:21 PM »
I had a dozen of them I bought cheap.  I built one with no issues, but had two that seemed to have extremely thin finish and scratched very, very easily.  One of those had the front take down detent hole undersized.  I got the detent wedged in there with no way to get it out.  I ended up jamming it in there and using another detent and cut down spring.  I sold the rest and don't plan on buying them again.  They are great for a $40 beater lower when they're on sale.  Brownell's used to carry them for $189.99 and that would be a rip off.

You can get Anderson lowers for $40 these days and prices might even drop further. If they are having these type of QA issues, unless you are using them for a lightweight build, it might be best to stay away.

Offline morphik

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 08:06:47 AM »
Decided not to start a new topic since this existed...

I have two mag tactical lowers. I fully built one out using a spikes lpk. I had no issues other than it being my first time and it taking a bit to follow youtube. However, after getting a complete PSA upper yesterday I found out both of my MT lowers are out of spec with regards to the take-down pin holes. They are too close to each other. Not sure on exact measurement as my mic only measures up to 6" and they are about 6.5" apart.

FWIW - i tested my M&P15 upper on both lowers (i have a spare lpk so i used those takedown pins to test on the blank lower) and i tested the PSA upper on my M&P lower. No issues mating PSA and M&P so it confirms the lowers are bad, not the PSA upper (something i initially thought).

As i see it, and this is where I could use some guidance, I have a couple of options. 1) wall art/scrap them. 2) lock in the take-down pin and then send a drill bit through the pivot pin hole (this would drill the hole out on the upper so it would mate but might screw the upper if I wanted to put it on any other in-spec lower). or 3) modify the MT lower (not sure exactly how this would be done though. Drilling out the pin hole(s) would cause the pins to be loose).

Thoughts? Also, any recommendations for on a quality lower?

Offline ra-cali

• Founding Member
  • We are all here for the same reason
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »

I have two mag tactical lowers. I fully built one out using a spikes lpk. I had no issues other than it being my first time and it taking a bit to follow youtube. However, after getting a complete PSA upper yesterday I found out both of my MT lowers are out of spec with regards to the take-down pin holes. They are too close to each other. Not sure on exact measurement as my mic only measures up to 6" and they are about 6.5" apart.

FWIW - i tested my M&P15 upper on both lowers (i have a spare lpk so i used those takedown pins to test on the blank lower) and i tested the PSA upper on my M&P lower. No issues mating PSA and M&P so it confirms the lowers are bad, not the PSA upper (something i initially thought).

As i see it, and this is where I could use some guidance, I have a couple of options. 1) wall art/scrap them. 2) lock in the take-down pin and then send a drill bit through the pivot pin hole (this would drill the hole out on the upper so it would mate but might screw the upper if I wanted to put it on any other in-spec lower). or 3) modify the MT lower (not sure exactly how this would be done though. Drilling out the pin hole(s) would cause the pins to be loose).

If there is enough real estate, drilling the rear take down hole in the lower seems most logical. Leave the upper as is. Leave the pivot pin holes as is. This is assuming the front is correctly aligned allowing the FCG and mag well to line up correctly. There are easy ways to make the rear more solid.

OR take the easy way out and wall-art it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:46:21 AM by ra-cali »

Offline morphik

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »

If there is enough real estate, drilling the rear take down hole in the lower seems most logical. Leave the upper as is. Leave the pivot pin holes as is. This is assuming the front is correctly aligned allowing the FCG and mag well to line up correctly. There are easy ways to make the rear more solid.

OR take the easy way out and wall-art it.

thanks for the feedback. If I leave the pivot pin and upper alone the issue becomes that the upper cannot pivot down far enough to mate with the lower. It sits about 1/16" too far back to fully seat. The rear of the upper (where you would pull the bcg out) hits the inside of the lower (inside portion where the buffer tube screws into) before the pin hole aligns. Even if i can get it to go down far enough (by maybe grinding a little metal) I'm not sure the holes will align anyway. Ive tried pinning the take-down and then the pivot but they don't match. cant imagine doing the opposite would yield different results.

wall art it is  >:(

suggestions on quality lowers?

Offline ra-cali

• Founding Member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 01:54:07 PM »

thanks for the feedback. If I leave the pivot pin and upper alone the issue becomes that the upper cannot pivot down far enough to mate with the lower. It sits about 1/16" too far back to fully seat. The rear of the upper (where you would pull the bcg out) hits the inside of the lower (inside portion where the buffer tube screws into) before the pin hole aligns. Even if i can get it to go down far enough (by maybe grinding a little metal) I'm not sure the holes will align anyway. Ive tried pinning the take-down and then the pivot but they don't match. cant imagine doing the opposite would yield different results.

wall art it is  >:(

suggestions on quality lowers?

I've had great experiences with Aero Precision. They're affordable and the Gen 2's have the upper tension screw. They're what we use on our Match Rifles now. Before that it was Mega. Granted, most of the name brands will suit you just fine if they can be found at a great price.

For the record, I've never had an issue with Anderson.

The following users thanked this post: morphik

Offline cornhskr

• Founding Member
  • Use the Force
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 07:25:26 PM »
I second Aero lowers!!  Also, Surplus Arms & Ammo lowers are made by Aero also.  I'm waiting for an under $40/lower sale.
NRA Benefactor Life, 2AF Life,  Infantry.

Offline ra-cali

• Founding Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:38 AM »
PA has them for a decent price... http://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precision-stripped-ar-15-lower-receiver-gen-2-apar501101 I bought a few from AP direct, 2 Black Friday's ago, when they were cheeeap.

Offline morphik

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 07:41:17 AM »
Ended up getting some Andersons at a local shop for just over $39/ea out the door. Doubt i'll find an online deal better than that when the transfer fee is thrown in. 

Thanks again for the responses.