Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 09, 2018, 10:00:17 PM

Author Topic: Rocky needs help!  (Read 812 times)

Offline Hollowhandle

• Founding Member
  • Opening day member of Undefined and Rocky's club
Re: Rocky needs help!
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 09:53:31 AM »
I really like these ingredient bins to store brass.
Something like this small one.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/rubbermaid-fg9g6000wht-2-6-gallon-prosave-shelf-ingredient-bin-with-1-2-cup-measuring-scoop/6909G60.html

ETA: Rocky'd the page for Rocky. Damn.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:54:20 AM by Hollowhandle »

Offline Brotherbadger

• Founding Member
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 05:24:13 PM »
Here's what i do.  I keep my brass in various stages of prep (i find it easier to do bulk in steps on a single stage). I divide them up in these plastic bins.  They're cheap and stackable.

Finished reloaded ammo gets placed in ammo cans with labels.

Store bought stuff like 22LR goes in the ammo boxes.

Bullets go into whatever smaller containers(cuz bullets be heavy yo)i have. Preferably stackable.

I keep a bunch of the small mtm cases around for range trips and testing loads.

Offline Brotherbadger

• Founding Member
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 05:26:20 PM »
I also use those tall soup containers you get from Chinese restaurants for small batches of brass.

Offline biere

• Founding Member
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 11:10:41 AM »
I have some big clear plastic tubs that have held up for a decade or more.  I bought some solid colored ones at the same time, they are cracked and dead.  Made me want metal for the most part.

I did get some of those packs of stacking tubs we had deals on for a bit.  I have them on a big rolling dolley or whatever, can push em out of the way and roll it back out when I need it. 

Part of my ammo can kick is I do I have coffee cans full of stuff, #10 cans of stuff full of stuff, and all sorts of other containers.  Having different containers is a waste of space in many cases.

I do kind of like clear plastic containers because I can see in them, but once I got past that I don't mind ammo cans cause they stack, don't crack, are water tight, and now with magnets I no longer am using a marker to write on masking tape what is in it. 

Big metal shelving for ammo cans helps as well, mine does 2 deep but now that I am into quantity I don't mind that a bit.  If I only have one ammo can of something then I need to order some stuff in.

I have a tub full of just holsters and cheap slings and stuff and it is nice to have those tubs of stuff but have em on that dolley so I can roll it into a corner and forget about it.

Offline JWil

• Founding Member
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 12:18:37 PM »
You still didnt say why you used two sheets of hardwood plywood? My neighbors kid me for over-engineering everything i build and I think that's just nuts.

One sheet of 3/4 can still have too much flex.  You dont want your bench top to move or flex when reloading. 
Two sheets (along with multiple 2x4 braces) will give you the better strength and make your top more rigid.

Also it is recommend to screw and glue the 2 sheets of plywood together.

This will make your bench very structurally sound.

Your right for over-engineering it...you cant make your reloading bench "too strong"

The following users thanked this post: morphik

Offline Duodec

• Founding Member
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »
I got a clearance deal (liquidation actually from a store moving) and got the 1.25" thick solid wood stair treads for cheap, so my workbench top is made of those.  Then a layer of masonite glued on top of that.  Its all lag bolted to the wall using triangular 'trusses' made of 2x4 lumber and metal joiner and coupler plates.  I put threaded pipe sockets in a couple of places so I could put front 'pipe legs' for more support but have never needed them for reloading or pretty heavy auto work done on that bench.

The car I had at the time was long enough that its nose ended up under the bench, so I didn't want legs in the way.  Our 2 car garage is barely compatible with the name unless the two cars are Miatas or Minis.

Offline morphik

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 04:12:15 PM »
You still didnt say why you used two sheets of hardwood plywood? My neighbors kid me for over-engineering everything i build and I think that's just nuts.
One sheet of 3/4 can still have too much flex.  You dont want your bench top to move or flex when reloading. 
Two sheets (along with multiple 2x4 braces) will give you the better strength and make your top more rigid.

with 2x4 on 16" center.. too much flex? haha. yea, you overbuilt it. Who am i to kid... i'm having a 6" concrete pad poured with 1/2" rebar on 12" centers just because i might get a skidsteer in the future. I did get the rebar for a song though.

Offline edgephoto

• Founding Member
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 08:04:12 PM »

I used two layers of 3/4" plywood because I wanted a solid top that had no bounce when hammering on it and no flex when running a press or using a vise. The plywood is glued and screwed to the bench framing and both layers are glued. The 3/4" thick Oak strip flooring adds to the thickness but because the strips are 2-1/2" wide they do not really add to the flex strength even though they are glued and nailed to the plywood.

Could I have used one layer with the flooring on top? Probably and it most likely would be fine but for an additional two sheets of plywood I have a rock solid top.

I finally found a vise I have been looking for. An old, 1930s, Chas. Parker vise. It weighs 77 pounds and I probably will mount it on the bench. I also have a cheap Craftsman workbench setup in the garage. I have a newer Wilton vise to mount on that. Funny how the Wilton vise has the same size jaws as the old vise but weighs less than 1/2.

Offline morphik

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2017, 10:39:42 PM »
getting back on subject of storage... one thing i would recommend is not only what to store your stuff in but how to organize those containers. I had leftover 2x8s that were about 20-24" in length and some scrap 1/2" osb. So, i went and looked for containers in the 7" H x 20" long range.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:44:29 PM by morphik »