Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2018, 04:33:06 AM

Author Topic: Cabela's jerky cure and seasoning... meh  (Read 319 times)

Offline Duodec

• Founding Member
Cabela's jerky cure and seasoning... meh
« on: December 17, 2017, 01:33:34 AM »
A well intentioned friend gave me a package of jerky cure and seasoning from Cabelas; previously I had only used liquid marinades using Alton Brown's recipe or a couple found online.  Our dehydrator is only a Ronco rectangular; one step up from a toy (but it has worked for jerky before)

This time the 'dry cure' and 'dry seasoning' mix produced some pretty wretched stuff.  The meat was flank steak and all the directions were followed but the jerky had an unpleasant chemical taste (the cure I presume) with no hint of the promised bourbon bbq flavor.

Is that just they way it is with the store-bought jerky kits, or might I have done something wrong?  I know the amount and proportions of cure to seasoning were correct for the meat we had.

Thanks...

The following users thanked this post: cornhskr

Offline cornhskr

• Founding Member
  • Use the Force
Re: Cabela's jerky cure and seasoning... meh
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 01:52:00 AM »
Ronco!!!  Ronco!!  Really?  From the 70s, buy off TV ads, Ronco?
NRA Benefactor Life, 2AF Life,  Infantry.

Offline tornadochaser

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 08:47:10 AM »
high mountain is what I buy if I buy retail jerky components.  I usually buy cure in bulk and use my own blends of seasoning and marinades though.  Kinda have to when you make 200 pounds of jerky a year.
The only two things you should mix good whiskey with is ice and questionable decisions.

Offline Duodec

• Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 10:39:33 AM »
Ronco!!!  Ronco!!  Really?  From the 70s, buy off TV ads, Ronco?

Yes, really.  It came (new) in a website's "Mystery box" a few years ago (similar to a woot.com back of crap).  It actually does an ok job on fruit and as I mentioned, worked fine for marinaded beef jerky a couple of times.  It is a 'toy' level dehydrator but I know it can work (tops out at 3-4 pounds at a time though)

It was really more the Cabala's jerky mix I was calling into question.

In general, how do dry seasoning methods work compared to wet marinade for beef?

Offline tornadochaser

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 09:20:47 AM »
I only use dry seasoning when I grind the meat. 
The only two things you should mix good whiskey with is ice and questionable decisions.

Offline poon_ninja

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 07:50:38 AM »
If you're looking for any packaged seasonings, find someone that sells excalibur products and give them a try.  I haven't had any issues with using dry rub on jerky.  They have a great selection of seasoning kits (not everything they sell is listed on this site). https://www.excaliburseasoning.com/

Offline Duodec

• Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 11:15:36 PM »
If you're looking for any packaged seasonings, find someone that sells excalibur products and give them a try.  I haven't had any issues with using dry rub on jerky.  They have a great selection of seasoning kits (not everything they sell is listed on this site). https://www.excaliburseasoning.com/

I'm not, really; the one package was a gift.  The jerky I made with marinade, even on my little Ronco dehydrator, was much better.  But it was a different cut of steak (flank instead of previously used top round) also.

I think I'm going to try the dry stuff one more time (there is plenty left) with round roast.  But only a part of the roast; the rest I'll do marinade so its not wasted if the dry stuff fails again.

Offline poon_ninja

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 09:32:36 AM »
What brand of seasoning/cure are you using?

Offline Duodec

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »
The dry stuff came from Cabelas.  The marinade I've tried was straight up or variants of Alton Brown's marinade (he called it a brine):

2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon honey

3-6 hour marinade time, then drain/air dry on a rack, then dehydrate; he did cold/dry dehydration using a box fan instead of hot like my little Ronco does.  It turned out pretty good; I added more honey and tried brown sugar once to get a sweeter flavor and that also turned out nice.